BABEL Radio Show
|NOTE: BABEL is on stand-by throughout the academic year 2015/2016.|
If you would like to be part of the project in 2016/2017, get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
BABEL is a weekly radio-show open to all ERASMUS, international students and researchers.
Babel goes on air at RUC (Rádio Universidade de Coimbra), a unique radio station in Portugal entirely managed by students.
If you want to collaborate with the show, share an idea, make a suggestion or simply pay a visit to the team, get in touch: email@example.com
When: Wednesdays 8pm (October to July)
Where: RUC 107.9 FM or online at www.ruc.fm (click on "Emissão online" on the top right corner)
Follow Babel's facebook page for regular updates and podcasts.
By giving students the possibility to be part of a radio show, RUC and Babel are a privileged meeting point for students to share their personal experience abroad as well as practical tips for university life in Coimbra. In Babel there's space for different cultures and traditions, for travel suggestions in and out of Portugal and a lot more. As a plus, the show also promotes entertaining academic experiences and scholarship opportunities.
Who can be part of BABEL?
All international students and researchers are welcome in the show, as it intends to be a multicultural platform for those who choose Coimbra for an exchange period. In 2014/15 the show will be in its 5th edition and has marked the academic experience of nearly 40 foreign students (total in 4 years), who were part of the permanent teams in charge of taking the show on air every week.
We're always looking for easy-going and inspired people from different countries who want to share their culture and insights on a wide range of subjects. A high sense of responsibility and a positive approach to team work is expected, as members have to attend weekly preparation meetings, do regular individual research and meet the deadlines agreed for each task.
Experience in media or academic knowledge of journalism are valued, but many former members of Babel started without any kind of background in the field.
All in all, we're more interested in having a show made by motivated people with different profiles and backgrounds, rather than technical skills, as specific technical training will be provided to selected team members.
What are the benefits of joining the BABEL team?
These are just a few:
- You will have the chance to meet and socialize with other international and Portuguese students in a unique context, developing your own social network;
- Creativity and initiative - innovative approaches are strongly encouraged;
- Research experience while looking for contacts, preparing interviews and background info;
- Improving your communication skills, especially in multicultural settings - you'll have to learn to speak clearly and adapt to different audiences;
- Becoming familiar and putting into practice different journalistic techniques by doing interviews, news stories and live shows;
- Learn how to use specific radio techniques and technical equipment (microphones, sound editing software, recording studios, etc);
- Developing work ethics and responsibility - meeting deadlines and being punctual is essential!
If you're committed, creative, positive and enjoy multicultural environments, Babel was made for you.
Rádio Universidade de Coimbra is a radio station entirely run by students on a volunteering basis. The radio is on air 24/7, no matter what, every day of the year. RUC was legally established in 1986 and since then it has become a nationally recognized test lab and launchpad for students with a passion for communication and music - many famous personalities in media started as volunteers there, while studying in Coimbra.