The Department of Architecture of the
Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Coimbra (DARQ) began in 1988.
Among other schools of architecture, the
Department of Architecture also known as DARQ is distinguished by its moderate
size, with about 500 students and 40 teachers,
with the purpose of maintaining this size. The study plan is based on
learning-centered workshops of Architectural Design, understanding it as a
field of cultural production that joins classes of scientific, technological
and humanistic order.
The Department of Architecture is increasingly betting on deepening the quality
of the theoretical, technological and cultural training for their future
architects, teachers and researchers.
The School of Arts was built in 1568 as part of the Jesuit Upper town of Coimbra, with the School of Jesus included. The new and large complex, intended to establish great influence over the University, by standing on the highest hill of the university. The School of Arts, endowed with its own church and lounges, that no longer exist, housed classes for the teaching of arts and preparatory studies for future university admission. After the “Pombalina Reform” that influenced the university, the School of Arts started to be called the Royal College of Nobles of the Provinces. It also housed the High school of Coimbra before being included in the structure of the Hospital of the University of Coimbra in 1853. In 1885, Professor Costa Simões, carried out a remodeling project in order to adapt the new hospital function, dividing the building into six units. This project would only be partially implemented a few years later, in a compact version, giving the building its current configuration.