Master in Electrical and Computer Engineering
The Master program in Electrical and Computer Engineering ,
includes the first two cycles. The first cycle allows a greater mobility of students and guarantees immediate access to the 2nd cycle.
Conditions of access to the Master program
According to Clauses 30 and 42 of the Academic Regulation of UC (RAUC # 344/2010, DR 2ªsérie-nº70-12 April 2010) the entry conditions / access are:
- Concurso nacional de acesso : provas de Matemática A (19) e Física e Química(07).National competition for access: evidence of Mathematics A (19), and Physics and Chemistry (07).
- Holders of: Bachelor's degree or legally equivalent; foreign academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the Bologna Process by a State adhering to this process; foreign academic degree that is recognized as granting the objectives of a degree by the Scientific Council responsible for the Master's course;
In duly justified cases, this cycle can be accessed by candidates showing a scientific and professional curriculum relevant for attending this course of study, and as such recognized by the Scientific Council responsible for the Master's course of study.
Master degree holders in Electrical and Computer Engineering show good acceptance in the labor market, either in large to medium or even small enterprises. Employment opportunities are located in public and private companies in the areas of generation, transmission, distribution and power management, automation, robotics, mobile and fixed telecommunications, multimedia content distribution operators, electro-mechatronics systems, microsystems, instrumentation, industrial maintenance, materials, design and consultancy, information systems, simulation, network management, database management, programmer analyst, software design, computer systems, etc., as well as in the areas of education and research.
- Consultancy firms in banking, insurance, telecommunications and manufacturing plants, power sector, sale of equipment, project development and consultancy
- Design, development and operation of computer systems either in both hardware or software aspects of the system
- Design and development of digital electronics systems, based on semiconductor and integrated circuit technology. These skills include embedded systems and highly integrated applications for a wide range of fields of engineering, instrumentation, signal processing and control, including techniques for design and development of electronic systems whose operation is based on critical timing constraints and high reliability, including training in methodologies and formal project models.
The study plan of the different specialization areas is available here.
The different credit units of the Master’s study plan are designed to reinforce in our students the capacity of developing of individual work, the level of autonomous independent thinking, the appropriate search for information and the ability to assume calculated risks, etc.
In the definition of those credits, the following aspects were considered:
Evaluation and skills assessment based on individual work, which encourages and rewards initiative, method, resource management and effort, rewarding a pro-active attitude in finding solutions to solve problems;
- Provide challenges, namely by facing students with problems that have to be addressed in order to increase their competence. Explore a solution, its applicability, promote an initiative, conduct a study, etc.;
- Encourage the presentation and discussion of internal works/assignments, whenever possible, to enhance training in personal and technical communication skills;
- Education based on "Case Studies" " exploring techniques, scenarios or simulations;
- In areas that imply decision skills, whenever possible involve companies or entrepreneurs in school activities, providing a practical and objective dimension of the achieved knowledge.