He is Professor Emeritus at the Chemistry Department of the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of Coimbra. He studied at the University of Coimbra and then concluded a Doctorate at Imperial College London (1958), specializing in Chemical Thermodynamics.
Between 1963 and 1966 he helped in the setting up of the Chemistry Department at the University of Lourenço Marques in Mozambique and set up and directed its laboratories. Between 1972 and 1974 he was responsible for the establishment of Engineering Degrees at the Faculty of Science and Technology and was its first Director, being the Director of the Faculty of Sciences prior to that. Between 1980 and 1990 he was the President of the Chemistry Department and its Scientific Commission several times. He also worked at EURATOM and EUROCHEM and was the responsible for the establishment and management of formal structures between the Industry and the University of Coimbra. He has published more than eighty scientific articles and coordinated twenty-five post-graduate dissertations in Coimbra. He has been a member of the Academy of Sciences since 1979.
His scientific research has been focused on the study of molecular and ionic interactions, especially aqueous solutions and its energetic effects both in its experimental as well as in theoretical physic and chemistry fields.