Author: Augusto Moutinho Borges
Digital ISBN: 978-989-26-0494-7
Publisher: Coimbra University Press/Portuguese Military History Commission
Date: April 2009
Price: 18,90 €
Size: 240 mm x 170 mm
N.º Pages: 261
From 1640 to 1834, the Hospitaller Order of St John of God was responsible for administration and nursing care at the Royal Military Hospitals in Portugal. The architecture and layout of the buildings reflected the importance of these institutions, while at the same time helping to spread the cult of St John of God in Portugal.
This study focuses upon a period of some 295 years when the Military Hospitals were founded and administered by the Brothers of St John of God.