Refugee Support at the University of Coimbra
The University of Coimbra (UC) created a special channel for students, academics and professionals with refugee status under the Geneva Convention and applicable Portuguese Law.
The special channel provides:
Portuguese Language Courses
- The Faculty of Arts and Humanities offers a variety of opportunities to learn Portuguese. It also provides a Foundation Year Programme in Portuguese Language (FYP-PL) with intensive training and customised follow-up to prepare students to gain the necessary skills and proficiency in the Portuguese language to take UC degree programmes. -- Learn more
Recognition of prior higher education qualifications
- The UC handles the recognition of refugees’ higher education qualifications according to international best practices and recommendations. -- Learn more
Access to graduate and post-graduate programmes
- Students having completed secondary education, or previously enrolled in higher education in their home country, can apply for our bachelor, master and doctoral programmes. -- Learn more
Other educational opportunities
- The UC offers various non-degree courses, e-learning and other educational opportunities. -- Learn more
Learn more about the implications of having refugee status as a student of the UC
Special support available for refugee students includes:
- Tuition fees and other academic costs;
- Access to UC Welfare Services, including meals at university restaurants, medical assistance and other services;
- Specific orientation and integration provided by the UC services in coordination with local and national authorities;
- Students enrolled at the University of Coimbra with refugee status are considered international students with special support from the UC. Existing regulations for international students also apply to refugees. Check our site for international students
Please note that:
- Direct financial help for living costs is not contemplated at this point.
- Accommodation at UC residences for refugee students is not foreseen at this time. The UC will coordinate with external entities involved in refugee help in order to find suitable accommodation if needed.
- Although the UC will make every effort to accommodate refugee students, the number of vacancies is limited. The UC works closely with Portuguese authorities and refugee support organisations in Portugal to ensure that existing vacancies are used in the most effective way as part of the national effort to support refugees in the European Union.
For more information please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the University of Coimbra
The University of Coimbra (UC) is a Portuguese public higher education institution with more than 700 years of experience in education, training and research.
UC is a world leading university that offers education and research in all study levels and in nearly all study fields. UC is part of the Shangai Ranking of the best 500 universities in the world and is classified as a 5-stars top university by the QS Stars University Ratings in the areas of innovation, research, teaching, internationalisation, employability, facilities and inclusiveness.
Coimbra is a university city which for centuries was the place of multi-cultural encounters.
UC was classified as World Heritage by the UNESCO in 2013 for its role as the centre of production of Portuguese language literature and thinking and for the universal value of its campus, which dates back to the 16th century.
Learn more about Coimbra and its World Heritage University: