Three centuries of progress in the University of Coimbra amidst successive troubled periods in the Portuguese political scene. The University consolidated its position as a fundamental institution of culture and science in Portugal.
1640 (history of Portugal): Restoration of the complete independence of Portugal. Beginning of the Fourth Dynasty (Bragança Dynasty).
1759 (history of Portugal): The University of Évora is dissolved.
1772: The University receives the “Pombaline Statutes”, which, among other aspects, created the Faculties of Mathematics and of Natural Philosophy (Sciences), and reforms the studies of Medicine. The reform of education required by these statutes creates the need for new scientific institutions and results in the construction of buildings designed to house the Chemical Laboratory, the Astronomic Observatory, the University Press, and the initial centre of the Botanical Garden.
1773: Beginning of the setting up of the Museum of Natural History, the oldest Portuguese museum, subdivided into sectors in 1885, from which the following four institutions resulted: Zoology, Botany, Mineralogy and Geology, and Anthropology.
1773: The Experimental Physics Office comes into operation.
1820 (history of Portugal): Liberal Revolution in Portugal. Meeting of the 'Extraordinary and Constitutive Cortes of the Portuguese Nation'.
1822 (history of Portugal): The Cortes decree the first Political Portuguese Constitution.
1822 (history of Portugal): Independence of Brazil.
1826 (history of Portugal): Constitutional Charter (royal concession which grants the king an important role in the constitutional provisions).
1838 (history of Portugal): New Political Portuguese Constitution.
1836: The Faculties of Laws and Canons are merged into the new Faculty of Law.