Saint Michael's Chapel
In Portugal and a little around the rest of the world as well, the idea of the institution University of Coimbra is closely connected to the Main University Area, a heterogeneous architectural ensemble where the constructions of the so-called New State are put in relief, especially the Pateo and the Paço das Escolas looked down upon by the famous University Tower.
In 1544, it was the Paço das Escolas which agglutinated all the Faculties of the University of Coimbra, after the final accommodation of the University in this city in 1537 and a true itinerant path of almost three centuries between Lisbon and the Mondego urban area.
During this period in Coimbra the General Studies (later known as University) functioned in a building referred to as the Old Studies, more or less where the Main Library is to be found today, and were then distributed to various areas, putting into relief the Santa Cruz Monastery and the Paço das Escolas itself.
When visiting the Paço das Escolas, the following monuments shouldn't be missed (learn about the contacts and timetables to visit this monumental group):
Capela de S. Miguel
It was built in the beginning of the 16th century, replacing another chapel, probably from the 12th century. Its architectural structure is Manueline with a visibly decorative style, especially in the huge windows of the main nave and in the transept arch.