This uses cookies that do not gather any personal information whatsoever. By using this website, you agree with the cookie policy.

Frequently Asked Questions | Covid-19 | UC Students

Last update on 15th June 2020
Special Examination Period
Will a special system be applied to the special examination period ?

Yes, all Students of Bachelor's, Master's, PhD Degree Courses or Isolated Curricular Units will be able to sit the special exam of all the annual, 2nd semester, 2nd and 3rd quarters curricular units for which they are registered in 2019/2020 and had failed.

This will also apply to the students who are not covered by any special status or situation and students covered by a special status or situation only in the second semester.

Students covered by a special status or situation in the whole academic year will be able to sit the special exam of all the curricular units for which they are registered, including the curricular units of the 1st semester, and the 1st quarter and/or annual curricular units.

Last update on 28th April 2020
Can you sit improvement exams in the special examination period ?
No, you cannot. The special examination period is, as usual, reserved for the assessment exams.
How can you register for the special examination period ?

At InforEstudante, during the deadlines established to register for the special examination period:

  • from 15th June until 2 days before the date established for the exam,for students with special examination period in July (regular curricular units, that is, all except for dissertations, thesis projects and similar curricular units);
  • from 15th July to 14th August, for students of the Faculty of Law (FDUC), whose special examination period is in September;
  • until the final deadline established internally by the Organisational Unit for the submission of Dissertation (Master's Degree), Seminar, Internship or similar units;
  • from 15th July to 15th September, for Thesis Project (PhD Degree), since they continue being submitted in paper format as before.
When the notifications refer to failed curricular units, which units are these specifically?

Failed curricular units are all the units in which the student obtained a grade different from 10 to 20, including "Missed" and "Gave up". 

Students who obtain 10 as a minimum final grade are considered to have passed the exam. Therefore, all the other grades (lower than 10) result in a failure (or non-pass). For the special examination period what counts is the final assessment after the attendance, normal exam and suplementary exam.

Last update on 15th June 2020
Thesis, Thesis project and dissertation
Will the deadlines for submission and defence of dissertations be extended ?

Yes, the deadlines for submission and defence of Master’s Degree Dissertation/Project/ Internship Report or similar units, and PhD Thesis Project, pursuant to the regulations in 2019/2020, will be extended as follows:

  • Submission until 30th October 2020 and Defence until 30th December 2020.
If you finish the work, can you submit and defend it within the usual deadlines ?
Yes, that is strongly recommended, since it would allow you to complete the course and begin a new stage earlier. The new deadlines are only the extension of the maximum limit, hence, whenever possible, it is desirable to comply with the deadlines established before this exceptional scenario.
Will the deadline for submission of a PhD Thesis be extended ?

Yes. The deadline for submission of a Thesis pursuant to the regulations in 2019/2020 will be extended to 31st December 2020.

Last update on 14th April 2020
Will you pay more if you submit the PhD Thesis after 31st August?

No. Taking into account that the deadline for submission of a Thesis pursuant to the regulations in 2019/2020 was extended to 31st December, the PhD Student only has to pay the tuition fee concerning his/her registration in that academic year. 

Last update on 28th April 2020
Other Questions
Where to find updated information for UC students ?

You should stay tuned for the notifications of InforEstudante and you are strongly recommended to check regularly these web pages, at, in order to keep track of the general information addressed to UC Students. 

  • If you are an Applicant, please search an answer at Frequently Asked Questions COVID-19 for Applicants »
  • To obtain information about pedagogical issues (classes, summaries, assignments) and assessment issues, you must contact the Faculty or Department in which classes are delivered. 
How to contact the Academic Management Services if there is no In-Person Assistance ?

By means of the telephone number or skype, during the extended schedule established for that purpose. 

Further information at »

How can you attend classes ?

Classes tend to be delivered online in order to enable progression in knowledge acquisition and disturb as little as possible the organisation of the academic year.

The assessment procedures will be adapted as far as possible and proportionally to the suspension period of the face-to-face academic activities, as surely professors will continue to inform.

When will face-to-face classes restart ?
The defences of Dissertations and Thesis may be carried out by video conference assuming that both applicant and examination board agree on that, within the given restrains and eventual special circumstances.
Will the Academic Year Calendar be changed ?
No. The Academic Calendar approved by the Rector’s Order no. 19/2019, of 7th de February, will be maintained, except in the case of the suspension of classes for the Students Festivity “Queima das Fitas” which will be substituted by classes/academic activities.
Will the dates for the exams and assessments be maintained ?
In accordance with what is established by the UC, the assessment calendars must be maintained under the current scenario and as far as possible, with occasional adjustments in order to enable the majority of students to complete the academic year within the deadlines previously foreseen. 
You have access to the examination period of March. How will these exams be carried out ?

The accomplishment of these exams has to be appraised due to the different situations that may enable the access to the examination period of March:

  • Special examination period for Master’s degrees with an odd number of semesters or extraordinary examination period (early special exam, association leaders, firefighters).
How will the periodic assessments of the second semester be replaced ?
Given the exceptional circumstances in the current academic year and taking into account the current scenario, the scheduling of exams of the normal examination period will be possible concerning all the annual, 2nd semester, 2nd and 3rd quarters curricular units, thus enabling students, who due to different reasons cannot accomplish periodic assessment, to access this examination period.
How can you defend your Master’s Degree Dissertation? | How can you defend your PhD Thesis ?
The defences of Dissertations and Thesis may be carried out by video conference assuming that both applicant and examination board agree on that, within the given restrains and eventual special circumstances.
Will the current period count towards the expiration of registration, whether there is the risk of it or not ?

The UC is making every effort so that this scenario, unrelated to the UC, may have the lowest possible impact on the academic pathway of its Students, as can be seen by the measures already adopted, including the additional access to the normal and special examination periods and the extension of deadlines.

Expiration is related not only to the current academic year, or semester, but also to the academic success in the previous years, since it requires the accomplishment of 60 ECTS, which are equivalent to one academic year, in three years. Therefore, given the current data and the current legislation in force, the expiration continues to be applied.

If you withdraw now, what happens with your tuition fee ?

If there is a withdrawal, (formalised as usual at InforEstudante) Students stop paying the tuition instalments from the month following the date of the withdrawal onwards, but there is no refund of the tuition instalments already due or those concerning the month of the withdrawal. For example, concerning an annual registration, if you withdraw in March, you will not have to pay the three instalments from April to June.

The tuition fee payment plan for students covered by the status of International Student is different. Therefore, the withdrawal formalised in March entails the payment of the last tuition fee instalment.

If you withdraw, how can you return to the UC in the forthcoming academic year ?
If you withdraw in the current academic year, then you simply have to access InforEstudante within the deadlines established for registration in 2020/2021, and register as usual. Naturally, you cannot be assessed in the period of the withdraw, and, if there are any grades, they will be annulled.
Your Identification Document (for example, Citizen Card, Passport) is going to expire and you cannot renew it. What can you do ?

To prevent citizens from going to the facilities of public institutions and services, the public authorities will begin accepting until 30th June, for all legal purposes, the identity documents which expired from 24th February onwards (Decree-Law no. 10-A/2020, of 13th March, amended). The amendment published in the Official Journal of the Portuguese Republic (Diário da República) no. 95-A/2020, Series 1 of 16th May 2020, has extended the aforementioned  deadline until 30th October 2020.

Among the documents that will be accepted by the authorities are the Citizen Card, Driving License, Criminal Record Certificate, as well as Documents and Visa concerning the stay/residence in Portugal.

Last update on 19th May 2020.
How to obtain a paper certificate/diploma ?

The UC recommends and gives priority to using electronic channels and digital means. Thus, whenever possible, digital documents should be requested at InforEstudante – option “Documents »”. Please note that the digital certificate can be issued directly at the InforEstudante and its fee is lower.

If you really need a paper certificate, please submit your request by means of InforEstudante or the online form Take into account that it requires more time than usual, due to the fact that the circulation of paper documents is strongly conditioned.

Get further information about how to request a certificate or diploma »

You were asked to present your documents in person. How can you do it ?

By sealing a request, each Student is responsible for the documents attached to the request. During the current scenario, you do not have to present the original documents. However, the presentation of the original documents is still necessary, whenever requested by the Academic Management Services (SGA).

Please note that if you do not present the documents requested within the established deadline, the documents do not comply with or do not prove what is provided for in the regulation of the UC, or we verify that the information mentioned in the documents is not authentic, then all the academic procedures resulting from the decision rendered concerning your request will be annulled and the stipulated legal procedures adequate to the situation will be applied.