This uses cookies that do not gather any personal information whatsoever. By using this website, you agree with the cookie policy.

Withdrawing Registration

Please NoteThe request for withdrawing your enrolment/registration must be formalised by means of InforEstudante at “Academic Service » Request”. This is the only way for the student to be released from the payment of the tuition fee instalments subsequent to the withdrawal, in accordance with the UC Regulation.
  • Any communication to Professors, Course Coordination or other services of the Faculties do not fall within the scope of this request.
  • Similar to the enrolment/registration in order to be a UC student, the withdrawal must also be formalised. Otherwise, you will continue to be considered as a UC student, and therefore you will owe the tuition fee and its corresponding interests.

If you register and subsequently withdraw, do you have to pay the tuition fee?

Yes, you do. Withdrawing from your registration can only release you from the payment of the instalments due on the date of the submission of the withdrawal request at InforEstudante.

If you withdraw immediately after confirming your registration, you are still obliged to pay the tuition fee that was generated from the beginning of the academic period of the registration.

Example: If you register for the whole academic year on 15th October for a Bachelor’s Degree:

  • after sealing your registration, the payment plan with the ten instalments of the year will be generated (from September to June);
  • the instalment of September will be added to the instalment of October;
  • if you withdraw on the same day (15th October), you will be released from the payments concerning the months subsequent to October, but you have to pay the instalments of September and October.

Can you “freeze” | “suspend” | interrupt your enrolment?

Yes, it is possible to do it. It consists in withdrawing from the course for which you are registered.

How to interrupt your studies at the UC?

If your last registration refers to the academic year that is ending, you do not have to undertake any procedure in order to interrupt your studies.

Since it is mandatory to register annually for the curricular units a student wants to attend, when he/she does not register, his/her registration remains in the status “interrupted”.

Can you withdraw after registering for the academic year??

Yes, you can. If you have already registered for the current academic year, you must formalise your withdrawal by means of a request at InforEstudante. You can withdraw the enrolment concerning the whole academic year or only periods of it: trimesters or semesters.

What is the impact of withdrawal on the tuition fee?

In accordance with the Academic Regulation of the UC, withdrawal of studies refers to the whole academic year, one of the semesters or trimesters, according to the type and duration of the registration that has been made, and that choice must be clarified in the request for withdrawal.

In the withdrawal of studies undertaken at the Academic Management Services (SGA) by means of InforEstudante, the student is released from the payment of the instalments due from the month onwards subsequent to that in which he/she withdraws. For example, if the student submitted his/her request in October, the instalments from November onwards will be removed.

Concerning International Students, the payment already made for the enrolment and registration is not reimbursed.

Which are the withdrawal consequences for the registration?

The registrations made within the period of the withdrawal are cancelled, including eventual grades (successful or failure grades) if there are any.

  • The withdrawal in a period is applied to the whole registration’s period.

Example: if you withdraw from the 2nd semester, all the curricular units concerning this semester will be annulled, whether they have final grades or not.

    • If you are registered for annual curricular units, you can withdraw from only one semester, but it implies the annulment of the registration for that curricular unit and it will have no effect on the tuition fee.

    Example: if you withdraw from the 2nd semester, and you have an annual curricular unit, the curricular units of that semester and the annual curricular unit will be annulled, but the ECTS credits of the annual curricular unit will not be deducted from the total number of the registration’s ECTS credits and therefore will have no influence on the tuition fee amount.

    • If you want to withdraw from one or more curricular units rather than from all the curricular units, you must make a registration change within the deadlines defined annually for that procedure.

    Which are the consequences in terms of the expiration system?

    For the purpose of applying the expiration system:

    • the registration to which the withdrawal refers does not count if the withdrawal is annual, or
    • the registration to which the withdrawal refers counts 0.5 if it is an annual or semester registration whose withdrawal is undertaken within the 30 days after the beginning of the 2nd semester.

    What to do when you want to return to studies?

    • In the subsequent academic year, if the student wants to continue his/her studies in the same course, he/she just has to register for that course/cycle of studies within the normal registrations deadline, at InforEstudante. 
    • If more than one academic year has passed, the student must submit a mandatory application and pay the corresponding fee (currently it is €50).

    In order to know how and when to do it, you must be attentive to the webpage “Applicants to the UC” of the Academic Management Services. Finally, we hope that you may return soon to your studies at this University.

    Can you cancel your enrolment/registration ?

    No. The registration can only be cancelled pursuant to the general terms of the law and if the cycle of studies is not offered. The student is entitled the right to withdraw when he/she wants, thus becoming subject to the deadlines and rules defined in the UC Regulation.