Plurianual | RC-12.2023| MSc/PhD | Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in the Engineering field.
Notice of opening of international selection procedure for the recruitment of one doctorate research associate - Ref. N.º LA/P/0079/2020 - LAETA
1. ADAI - Associação para o Desenvolvimento da Aerodinâmica Industrial (Association for the Development of Industrial Aerodynamics) decided to open an international selection competition for a PhD Researcher in Mechanical Engineering, within the scope of LA/P/0079/2020- LAETA - Laboratório Associado de Energia, Transportes e Aeronáutica, with the financial support of FCT/MCTES through national funds (PIDDAC). Under unfixed term contract according with the Project and the applicable legislation, the PhD researcher will perform the following tasks:
Computational Fluid Dynamics simulations and experiments to design molds for the glass packaging industry, develop air-curtain seals for personal protective equipment, simulate phase-change transitions within enclosures, and design air-to-earth heat exchangers.
2. Applicable Legislation
Decree-Law no. 57/2016, of August 29, (amended by Law n. 57/2017 of 19 July), as well as the Regulatory-Decree n. 11-A/2017, from 29 December approving a regime for contracting doctorates, aimed at stimulating scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC); and, Labor Code, approved by Law no. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current version.
3. In accordance with article 13 of the RJEC, the selection committee of the competition is composed as follows:
1) President Prof. Manuel Carlos Gameiro da Silva, Full professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Coimbra.
2) Prof. José Joaquim da Costa, Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Coimbra.
3) Prof. Adélio Manuel Rodrigues Gaspar, Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Coimbra.
4. The location of employment is the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pólo II of Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal, or in other places required for the execution of the work plan.
5. The monthly remuneration to be attributed corresponds to level 33 of the unique remuneration table, approved by Administrative Rule no. 1553-C/2008, of December 31. Benefits include a daily lunch subsidy of 5,20 Euros.
6. The selection process is open to national, foreign and stateless candidates who hold a MSc in Mechanical Engineering and a Ph.D. degree in the Engineering field and holders of a scientific and professional curriculum that shows a profile appropriate to the activity to be developed, namely Computational Fluid Dynamics models to simulate glass molds, phase-change transition, earth-to-air heat exchangers and personalized equipment’s with aerodynamics sealing.
Candidates with qualifications obtained abroad shall make proof that their Ph.D. was recognized by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution pursuant to Decree-Law no. 283/83, of June 21st, or otherwise registered under Decree-Law no. 341/2007, of October 12th. This document (either recognition or registration) is mandatory for the application.
7. In accordance with article 5 of the RJEC, the selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific, technological and curricular background of the candidates.
8. The evaluation of the scientific, technological and curricular background will give priority to the relevance, quality and timeliness of the candidate’s activities during the past five years.
9. The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be extended by the selection committee, at the request of the candidate, when justified on the grounds of suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, namely on the grounds of parental leave, prolonged serious illness and other legally protected reasons for unavailability to work.
10. Required Profile:
Academic qualification: a MSc in Mechanical Engineering and a PhD in the Engineering field.
a) PhD degree;
b) Experience conducting Computational Fluid Dynamics (ANSYS CFX®) simulations for industrial applications and ensuring proper numerical validation through experiments.
a) Capability of writing technical/scientific documents in English language;
b) Leadership, a strong motivation to work in a team, combining excellent organization skills with the ability to meet deadlines;
c) Excellent communication skills and ability to establishing collaborative links with the other project researchers at ADAI.
11. The evaluation of the scientific, technological and curricular background of the candidates will focus on the relevance, quality, timeliness and suitability of their background to the functions to be performed, according to the following curricular criteria:
C1: Quality of the CV (scale 0-100);
C2: Prior expertise in the field (scale 0-100).
The final score of the curricular criteria (CCS) will be obtained by the expression: CCS = 0,7 X C1 + 0,3 X C2.
12. The jury reserves the right to interview the three best-ranked candidates. The interview may be conducted remotely by skype or videoconference if the candidate requires it. The score of the interview (IS) will be expressed in the scale 0 – 100.
13. The final score (FS) of the candidates selected for the interview will be determined according to the expression: FS = 0,9 X CCS + 0,1 X IS.
14. Minutes of the selection committee meeting including a report of the evaluation is available to the candidates whenever requested.
15. After completion of the evaluation process, the selection committee will draw up a list of the eligible candidates in order of their classification.
16. If the selected candidate is not willing to occupy the position, the selection committee can decide to invite the next eligible candidate in the ordered list.
17. The final evaluation of the selection committee will be approved by the ADAI Board of Directors, which also makes the decision on the hiring.
18. Application Procedure:
a) Application to the position is formalized by sending the following information addressed to the Selection Committee reference of number of this position (given at the top of this document), full name, number and date of the Citizen’s card or civil ID, tax identification number, date and place of birth, residence and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
b) The application shall be accompanied by documents proving the conditions described in point 6 for admission to this selection process, in particular:
· Copy of certificate or diploma;
· Detailed curriculum vitae;
· List of publications, including DOI link and Journal (JCR) impact factor (when applicable).
· For applicants with a foreign degree – Recognition by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution pursuant to Decree-Law no. 283/83, of June 21st
c) The candidates should send their applications and supporting documents, in digital (PDF) format, to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
d) The deadline for application is the 31st May 2023.
19. Candidates who incorrectly formalize their application or who do not give adequate proof of the requirements of this selection process are excluded from admission to the competition. The selection committee has the power to require any candidate, in case of doubt, to present documents proving his statements.
20. Candidates who do not obtain a final mark equal to or greater than 70 points will not be allowed to fill the post in tender for lack of absolute merit.
21. False statements by candidates shall be punished in accordance with the law.
22. Admitted and excluded candidates will be notified of their inclusion or exclusion by email. The final classification of eligible candidates will be sent to each candidate by email.
23. Prior hearing and deadline for the Final Decision: After being notified, the candidates have 10 working days to comment the decision. Within a maximum of 10 days from the deadline for prior hearing, the final decisions of the selection committee will be given.
24. The present selection process is exclusively intended to fill the vacancy indicated and it is terminated when the final list of candidates is approved, and the advertised position is filled.
25. Non-discrimination and equal opportunity policy: ADAI actively promote a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity.
26. Under DL No. 29/2001, of February 3, a disabled candidate is given preference in the case of equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of incapacity, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma, on the application form.