Premium-RC|04-23 | PhD | Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or similar | March 7, 2023.
Life Cycle Assessment; Knowledge of analytical chemistry
Notice of opening of international selection procedure for the recruitment of one doctorate research associate - PREMIUM - Prediction models for implementation of munition health, reference B.PRJ.RT.858, financed 100% by the European Defence Agency - EDA
1. ADAI - Associação para o Desenvolvimento da Aerodinâmica Industrial (Association for the Development of Industrial Aerodynamics) decided to open an international selection competition for a PhD Researcher in Mechanical Engineering, within the scope of PREMIUM - Prediction models for implementation of munition health, reference B.PRJ.RT.858, financed 100% by the European Defence Agency - EDA. Under fixed term contract according with the Project and the applicable legislation, the PhD researcher will perform the following tasks:
1) contribute to the collection of information on techniques, tests and models used in the assessment and prediction of ammunition ageing;
2) characterize materials under study before, during and after accelerated or natural ageing tests;
3) inventory the information obtained with sensors, and validate this information with that obtained by the models;
4) assess the potential benefits (environmental, economic, safety, performance, etc.) of this new approach to managing ammunition stocks;
5) contribute to the harmonization of procedures that will be adopted to manage ammunition stocks.
2. Applicable Legislation
Decree-Law no. 57/2016, of August 29, (amended by Law n. 57/2017 of 19 July), as well as the Regulatory-Decree n. 11-A/2017, from 29 December approving a regime for contracting doctorates, aimed at stimulating scientific and technological employment in all areas of knowledge (RJEC); and, Labor Code, approved by Law no. 7/2009, of February 12, in its current version.
3. In accordance with article 13 of the RJEC, the selection committee of the competition is composed as follows:
1) President - Prof. José Manuel Baranda Moreira da Silva Ribeiro, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Coimbra.
2) Prof. Ricardo António Lopes Mendes, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Coimbra.
3) Prof. José Carlos Miranda Góis, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Coimbra.
4. Work will be developed within the activities of the Association for the Development of Industrial Aerodynamics of the Associated Laboratory in Energy, Transport and Aeronautics (ADAI-LAETA). The work places are at the facilities of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Polo II of the University of Coimbra, and also at the facilities of ADAI, namely in the Laboratory of Energetics and Detonics (LEDAP), Avenida da Universidade de Coimbra, 3150-277, Condeixa-a -Nova, Portugal; or other places that are necessary for the execution of the work plan
5. The monthly remuneration to be attributed corresponds to level 33 of the unique remuneration table, approved by Administrative Rule no. 1553-C/2008, of December 31, and is of the value of 2.206,05€ Euros. Benefits include a daily lunch subsidy of 5,20€ Euros.
6. The selection process is open to national, foreign and stateless candidates who hold a Ph.D. degree in Engineering, or related fields and holders of a scientific and professional curriculum that shows a profile appropriate to the activity to be developed. Candidates should preferably have a good knowledge of military systems and experience in international consortiums in the field of defence research, vast experience in Life Cycle Assessment methodology with scientific publication in this area, and environmental impact assessment software; Knowledge in analytical chemistry, and decision analysis is also valued as well as good knowledge of written and spoken English
Candidates with qualifications obtained abroad shall make proof that their Ph.D. was recognized by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution pursuant to Decree-Law no. 283/83, of June 21st, or otherwise registered under Decree-Law no. 341/2007, of October 12th. This document (either recognition or registration) is mandatory for the application.
7. In accordance with article 5 of the RJEC, the selection is made through the evaluation of the scientific, technological and curricular background of the candidates.
8. The evaluation of the scientific, technological and curricular background will give priority to the relevance, quality and timeliness of the candidate’s activities during the past five years.
9. The period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph may be extended by the selection committee, at the request of the candidate, when justified on the grounds of suspension of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, namely on the grounds of parental leave, prolonged serious illness and other legally protected reasons for unavailability to work.
10. Required Profile:
Academic qualification: PhD degree in the areas of Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, or similar.
a) PhD degree;
b) Candidates should preferably have a good knowledge of military systems and experience in international consortiums in the field of defense research, vast experience in Life Cycle Assessment methodology with scientific publication in this area, and environmental impact assessment software;
c) Knowledge in analytical chemistry, and decision analysis is also valued as well as good knowledge of written and spoken English
a) Leadership, a strong motivation to work in a team, combining excellent organization skills with the ability to meet deadlines;
b) Excellent communication skills and ability to establishing collaborative links.
11. The evaluation will be based on Curriculum Evaluation, in which academic qualifications presents a weight of 50 %, and the degree of satisfaction of knowledge and experience requirements a weight of 50 % to the total evaluation. If the Jury deems it necessary, an interview may be held with the candidates placed in the first three positions according to the ordering resulting from the previous criteria. In this case, the final score will include the curriculum assessment (as described above), valued at 60 %, and the interview, valued at 40 %. If none of the candidates has the appropriate profile (overall assessment below 50%), the contract will not be awarded.
12. Minutes of the selection committee meeting including a report of the evaluation is available to the candidates whenever requested.
13. After completion of the evaluation process, the selection committee will draw up a list of the eligible candidates in order of their classification.
14. If the selected candidate is not willing to occupy the position, the selection committee can decide to invite the next eligible candidate in the ordered list.
15. The final evaluation of the selection committee will be approved by the ADAI Board of Directors, which also makes the decision on the hiring.
16. Application Procedure:
a) Application to the position is formalized by sending the following information addressed to the Selection Committee reference of number of this position (given at the top of this document), full name, number and date of the Citizen’s card or civil ID, tax identification number, date and place of birth, residence and contact address, including e-mail address and telephone contact.
b) The application shall be accompanied by documents proving the conditions described in point 6 for admission to this selection process, in particular:
· Copy of certificate or diploma;
· Detailed curriculum vitae;
· List of publications, including DOI link and Journal (JCR) impact factor (when applicable).
· For applicants with a foreign degree – Recognition by a Portuguese Higher Education Institution pursuant to Decree-Law no. 283/83, of June 21st
c) The candidates should send their applications and supporting documents, in digital (PDF) format, to the email address email@example.com.
d) The deadline for application is the 7th of March 2023.
17. Candidates who incorrectly formalize their application or who do not give adequate proof of the requirements of this selection process are excluded from admission to the competition. The selection committee has the power to require any candidate, in case of doubt, to present documents proving his statements.
18. Candidates who do not obtain a final mark equal to or greater than 50% will not be allowed to fill the post in tender for lack of absolute merit.
19. False statements by candidates shall be punished in accordance with the law.
20. Admitted and excluded candidates will be notified of their inclusion or exclusion by email. The final classification of eligible candidates will be sent to each candidate by email with notification of receipt of delivery.
21. Prior hearing and deadline for the Final Decision: After being notified, the candidates have 10 working days to comment the decision. Within a maximum of 10 days from the deadline for prior hearing, the final decisions of the selection committee will be given.
22. The present selection process is exclusively intended to fill the vacancy indicated and it is terminated when the final list of candidates is approved, and the advertised position is filled.
23. Non-discrimination and equal opportunity policy: ADAI actively promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal opportunity.
24. Under DL No. 29/2001, of February 3, a disabled candidate is given preference in the case of equal classification, which prevails over any other legal preference. Candidates must declare their respective degree of incapacity, the type of disability and the means of communication / expression to be used in the selection process, under the terms of the aforementioned diploma, on the application form.