Watch our video and learn why the University of Coimbra is the best place in the world to learn Portuguese and get to know the several Portuguese-speaking cultures!
The Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Coimbra is a leading school with 90 years of experience in the teaching of Portuguese language and culture for foreign students in Portugal.
Five different courses are offered throughout the year:
- Summer Course
- Annual Course
- September Intensive Course
- February Intensive Course
- Foundation Year Programme (only for undergraduate applicants)
Master and doctorate programmes in Portuguese language, linguistics and literature are also available:
Coimbra: the Portuguese-speaking Hub in Europe
The Portuguese language was born and consolidated in the Coimbra region. During several centuries, the University of Coimbra was the only Portuguese language university in the world, being responsible for the education and training of many generations of politicians, writers and other intellectual prominent figures of the Portuguese-speaking countries.
This history left lasting traces in the university, in its library, archive and museum collections, and it shaped the city, the academic culture and the traditions, which have been kept alive by the academic community ever since.
In 2013, UC was classified by UNESCO as World Heritage for its role as the centre of production of Portuguese-language literature and thinking in the world over the centuries.
Knowing Portuguese is a valuable asset in today’s globalised world, especially, in the labour market. Each year, more than 600 international students follow Portuguese language and culture courses at UC.
Currently UC hosts around 2500 international students coming from the Portuguese-speaking Countries - CPLP (Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, Sao Tome and Principe and East Timor). Their student unions in Coimbra are represented and based in Casa da Lusofonia - International Student Lounge, a meeting point for all international students of UC.
UC has developed the UC Digitalis platform, an online portal with several digital libraries that gather and promote Portuguese-language contents (books, manuscripts, letters, papers, magazines, articles, etc.) in a wide variety of study fields.
UC is also on iTunesU, one of the biggest free education content repositories of the world, with contents in Portuguese.
Some Facts and Figures about the Portuguese Language in the World
- The Portuguese language is the 4th most widely spoken language in the world, the 3rd European language spoken globally and the 1st in the South hemisphere;
- The Portuguese language is used as an official language of work and documentation in more than two dozens of multilateral and regional organisations, including the United Nations;
- The Portuguese language is spoken by 250 million people who represent about 3,7% of the world population;
- The CPLP countries represent 4,3% of the world GDP and are responsible for 2% of the international trade.