Prevention and safety advice
The safety and security of students and visitors is important to the University of Coimbra (UC). Even though Portugal ranks high in the Global Peace Index and Coimbra has one of the lowest crime rates in Portugal according to the Annual Report of Homeland Security, all citizens are advised to take some prevention and safety measures.
Please take good note of the following safety advices recommended by UC and the Municipal Police:
Safety in student residences
- Lock your room when away, even if only for a few minutes.
- Don’t facilitate access to strangers.
- Never lend out your room or residence keys to anyone.
- Inform the residence staff of any lock defects or lost keys.
Safety on the street
- Avoid walking alone at night in isolated areas.
- Avoid carrying your original passport and important documents (make copies and carry these instead).
- Do not leave laptops, books, or other valuable belongings unattended in common areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings when walking outside, especially if you are listening to music on your headphones or talking on your cell phone.
- Don’t give out personal information over the phone (such as social security numbers or account numbers).
- Avoid expose cash or expensive items.
- Respect pedestrian walk lights and crosswalks.
Safety on public transportation
- If you’re the only passenger in a subway car or bus, sit as close to the operator as possible.
- In a deserted subway station, stand near the attendant’s booth.
- At night, be particularly careful of oncoming traffic while getting off a bus or trolley.
Important phone numbers
Add them to your contact list!
112 is the European Emergency Number. Please note this number is for emergencies only. We advise you to check the official 112 website first in case of doubt.
Proximity policing in public places (disturbances of the public order)
Address: Av. Sá da Bandeira, n.º106 | Tel. 239.854.410/419 | Office hours: Monday to Sunday, 08h00-20h00
Intervention in cases of law infractions (burglaries, aggressions, etc.)
Public Security Police (PSP)
Address: Rua Olímpio Nicolau Rui Fernandes | Tel. 239.863.000
Professional Fire Fighters
Address: Avenida Mendes da Silva, Quinta da Nora | Tel. 239.822.121 | Emergency: 239.822.122
Volunteer Fire Fighters
Address: Avenida Fernão de Magalhães, 179 | Tel. 239.822.323 | 239.826.287 | 808.200.823