- Marine and Environmental Sciences Centre (MARE)
- Centre for Functional Ecology - Science for People & the Planet (CFE)
- Centre for Mechanical Engineering, Materials and Processes (CEMMPRE)
- Centro de Física da Universidade de Coimbra (CFisUC)
- Center for Geosciences of the University of Coimbra (CGeo)
- Centre for Informatics and Systems of the University of Coimbra (CISUC)
- Centre for Earth and Space Research of the University of Coimbra (CITEUC)
- Centro de Investigação em Antropologia e Saúde (CIAS)
- Chemical Processes and Forest Products Engineering Research Centre (CIEPQPF)
- Centre for Mathematics of the University of Coimbra (CMUC)
- Coimbra Chemistry Centre (CQC)
- Molecular Physical-Chemistry Research and Development Unit (QFM-UC)
- Instituto de Astrofísica e Ciências do Espaço (IA)
- Institute for Sustainability and Innovation in Structural Engineering (ISISE)
- Laboratory for Instrumentation, Biomedical Engineering and Radiation Physics (LIBPhys)
Institute for Sustainability and Innovation in Structural Engineering (ISISE)
ISISE is a Research, Development and Innovation (RD&I) Unit created in 2007 that involves researchers with different expertise mostly from the Departments of Civil Engineering from the universities of Coimbra and Minho. ISISE currently comprises about 220 researchers (80 PhD members and 160 PhD students). After 10 years organized with 3 research groups (to a large extent material based), ISISE created the Functional Performance group in 2017.
ISISE possesses full expertise to address the seven basic requirements needed to bring building products to the market (Mechanical resistance and stability; Safety in the case of fire; Hygiene, health and the environment; Safety in use; Protection against noise; Energy economy and heat retention). It is well known that assessment of the environmental performance of building products can only be provided considering the building concept and use. ISISE can contribute to this vision by high-level research and development, which fosters innovation, in aspects such as the planning and design of the built environment, the structural and technical concept, and the quality achieved with the construction works.
The Institute continued to be involved in several Advanced Educational Programs, including three Erasmus Mundus International Masters, funded by the European Commission, and several PhD programs.A global ratio of 2.1 papers in peer-reviewed journals listed in WoS per PhD member per year and 64 PhD theses completed constitute an excellent result in the field of Civil Engineering. Earning competitive funding in the scope of international Research projects and cooperation with industry are additional strong points of ISISE.