T4ENERTEC - Tools for supporting the selection of energy efficient technologies
Title: T4ENERTEC - Tools for supporting the selection of energy efficient technologies
Coordinators at INESCC: Álvaro Gomes & António Gomes Martins
Coordinators at ADAI: Fausto Freire
Date of approval: 24-04-2018
Dates start/end: 26-07-2018 / 25-07-2021
Total Eligible Cost: 221 878.21€
EU Financial Support: 188 596.48€
National Financial Support: 33 281.73€
Project Code: POCI-01-0145-FEDER-029820
Region of intervention:
Beneficiaries: INESC Coimbra - Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores de Coimbra, Associação para o Desenvolvimento da Aerodinâmica Industrial
Copromotor: ADAI - Associação para o Desenvolvimento da Aerodinâmica Induatrial
The Portuguese energy efficiency programs are usually run through grant awards that support energy efficient technologies, including the implementation of policies that encourage investment, the development of training and education programs, and the facilitation of information exchange in the market, which require the establishment of rational investment plans considering distinct budget level inputs to each program. However, the evaluation of the energy efficiency programs and budgets is currently based on the ‘California Standard Practice Manual’, which mainly relies on the economic analysis of demand-side programs and projects. One of the weaknesses of this type of approach is that it cannot accurately capture the complexities and diversity of customer decision-making processes and mainly relying on the device costs targeted for funding.
Energy efficiency standards have been focused on reducing energy needs during the use phase of equipment. As energy efficient technologies progress towards low energy consumption, the embodied phase starts to play an important role when considering a life-cycle perspective. Consequently, a wider approach is needed in order to assess the whole energy efficient technology performance during its life span. Hence, it is fundamental to introduce a holistic design approach based on environmental sustainability, following a life-cycle perspective, in order to reduce both energy use and environmental impacts related with energy efficient technologies.
This project aims at developing a methodological framework to support public bodies in investment planning for energy efficiency programs based on portfolio theory explicitly considering the energy and carbon embodied in each energy efficient technology. A two-part methodological approach for supporting public investors with the selection of several energy efficient technologies to be funded will be developed. An Economic Input-Output Life-cycle Assessment modelling framework jointly developed with CIE-ADAI will be used for the appraisal of the energy payback-time/greenhouse gas payback- time of each technology. Then, the promotor of this project will participate in the development of a multiobjective optimization model based on portfolio theory to support public bodies with the selection of the energy efficient technology portfolios to be financed in an uncertain environment. A new approach for obtaining the optimal portfolios of energy efficient technologies will be proposed which allows exploring distinct types of investment strategies, according to the investor’s preferences.
The project will benefit from the participation of INESC Coimbra, with relevant the experience in consulting in the Plan for the Promotion of Energy Efficiency with one of the major players in the energy sector in Portugal and CIE-ADAI which has significant expertise in LCA addressing building retrofit strategies considering uncertainty handling.
Álvaro Gomes (INESC Coimbra)
António Gomes Martins (INESC Coimbra)
Carla Oliveira Henriques (INESC Coimbra)
Carla Rodrigues (ADAI)
Carlos Henggeler Antunes (INESC Coimbra)
Dulce Helena Coelho (INESC Coimbra)
Fausto Freire (ADAI)
Paulo Tavares (INESCC Coimbra)
Patrícia Pereira da Silva (INESC Coimbra)
Sérgio Tadeu - investigador doutorado (ADAI)
Luís Amado - bolseiro (INESC Coimbra)
- Saadatian, S., Freire, F., Simões, N. (2021). Integrated environmental, energy and cost life-cycle analysis of windows. Building and Environment Vol. 188, 15 January 2021, 107516 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.107516
- Cabeça, A. S., Henriques, C. O., Figueira, J., Silva, C. S. (2020). A multicriteria classification approach for assessing the current governance capacities on energy efficiency in the European Union. Energy Policy.
- Bissiri, M., Moura, P., Figueiredo, N. & da Silva, P.P., (2020). A geospatial approach towards defining cost-optimal electrification pathways in West Africa Energy. Energy, 200, 117471. Doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2020.117471
- Pereira, G.I., da Silva, P.P., & Cerqueira, P.A. (2020). Electricity distribution incumbents’ adaptation toward decarbonized and smarter grids: Evidence on the role market, regulatory, investment, and firm-level factors. Energy Policy. 142, 111477. Doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2020.111477
- Bissiri, M., Moura, P., Figueiredo, N. & da Silva, P.P., (2020). Towards a renewables-based future for West African States: A review of power systems planning approaches. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 134, December 2020, 110019 DOI 10.1016/j.rser.2020.110019 https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1bWF64s9Hv-Yu1
- Shiva Saadatian, Nuno Simões, Fausto Freire. Integrated environmental, energy and cost life-cycle analysis of windows. Building and Environment
- Shiva Saadatian, Fausto Freire, Nuno Simões. Embodied impacts of window systems: a comparative assessment of framing and glazing alternatives. Building Engineering
- Henriques, C.O., Coelho, D.H. & Neves, M.E.D. Investment planning in energy efficiency programs: a portfolio based approach. Oper Res Int J (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12351-020-00566-6
- Vivek Kumar Singh, Carla Oliveira Henriques and António Gomes Martins; “A multiobjective optimization approach to support end-use energy efficiency policy design – the case-study of India”; International Journal of Sustainable Energy Planning and Management Vol. 23 2019 55–68. DOI: 10.5278/ijsepm.2408
- Guillermo Ivan Pereira, Jan Martin Specht, Patrícia Pereira Silva, Reinhard Madlener, Technology, business model, and market design adaptation toward smart electricity distribution: Insights for policy making, Energy Policy, Volume 121, 2018, Pages 426-440, ISSN 0301-4215, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2018.06.018. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421518304087)
- Vogt Gwerder, Yvonne & Figueiredo, Nuno & Silva, Patrícia. (2019). Investing in Smart Grids: Assessing the Influence of Regulatory and Market Factors on Investment Level. The Energy Journal. 40. 25-44. 10.5547/01956574.40.4.ygwe.
- Patrícia Pereira da Silva, Guilherme Dantas, Guillermo Ivan Pereira, Lorrane Câmara, Nivalde J. De Castro, Photovoltaic distributed generation – An international review on diffusion, support policies, and electricity sector regulatory adaptation, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 103, 2019, Pages 30-39, ISSN 1364-0321, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.12.028. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1364032118308232)
- Jeremiah Kabayo, Pedro Marques, Rita Garcia, Fausto Freire, Life-cycle sustainability assessment of key electricity generation systems in Portugal, Energy, Volume 176, 2019, Pages 131-142, ISSN 0360-5442, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.03.166. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0360544219305869)
- Henriques, C. O., Neves, M. E., & Vilas, J. (2019). Financial performance assessment of electricity companies: evidence from Portugal. Operational Research: An International Journal. IF: 1.816.
- Henriques, C. O., Coelho, D., & Neves, M. E. (2019). Supporting public decision-makers in the design of energy efficiency programs; A portfolio based approach. In Proceedings of the EURO Working Group on Operational Research for Development (EWG-ORD) 2019 Workshop – OR for Sustainable Development: Renewable Energy, Health & Sustainable Development, June, 20, 2019, Dublin, Ireland.
- Henriques, C. O. (2019) Apresentação na Energy Systems Conference, que decorreu nos dias 19-20 de junho, em Londres, UK, da comunicação intitulada: The greenhouse gas payback time of PV and Wind: a novel methodology and comparison among countries.
- Henriques, C. O., Neves, M. E., & Castelão, L. (2020), Uma avaliação não paramétrica da peformance dos ETFs associados ao setor energético, In Proceedings das XXVIII Jornadas Luso Espanholas de Gestão Científica, 5-8 fevereiro, 2020, Escola Superior de Tecnologia e Gestão, Bragança, Portugal.
- Henriques, C. O., Neves, M. E., & Castelão, L. (2020), Uma avaliação não paramétrica da performance dos ETFs associados ao setor energético, In Proceedings das XXVIII Jornadas Luso Espanholas de Gestão Científica, 5-8 fevereiro, 2020, Escola Superior de Tecnologia e Gestão, Bragança, Portugal.
- Gomes, A., 2019, Ren4EEnIEQ organized seminar, titled “Environments: Survey, Design and Performance“, on promoting built-environment-related research networking. a streamed live.
- Luís Manuel Lopes Morais; “ANÁLISE DOS EFEITOS DA UTILIZAÇÃO DO SERVIÇO DE ENERGIA NOS IMPACTOS DE AÇÕES DE GESTÃO DE CARGAS”; Dissertação no âmbito do Mestrado em Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, área de especialização em Energia, apresentada ao Departamento de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade de Coimbra; Fevereiro de 2020.
- João André Viseu Simões Lima; “A METHODOLOGICAL FRAMEWORK TO SUPPORT ENERGY DECISION-MAKERS IN INVESTMENT PLANNING FOR ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROGRAMS IN THE RESIDENTIAL SECTOR”; Dissertation within the Integrated Master’s Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Specialization in Energy and presented to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra; February 2020.
- José Pedro Albuquerque Leitão de Oliveira e Costa; “DECISION MAKING TOOL TO SELECT ENERGY EFFICIENCY MEASURES THROUGH PORTFOLIO”; Dissertation within the Integrated Master’s Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, specialized in energy and presented to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra October 2020.
- Steve Ruivo Sintra; “Indicador de prontidão para edifícios “inteligentes” – Aplicação ao DEEC”; Dissertação no âmbito do Mestrado Integrado em Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, na especialização de Energia e apresentada ao Departamento de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, Outubro de 2020.
- André Manuel Costa Frade; “AVALIAÇÃO DE MEDIDAS DE EFICIÊNCIA ENERGÉTICA DE EDIFÍCIOS RESIDENCIAIS”; Dissertação no âmbito do Mestrado em Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, área de especialização em Energia e apresentada ao Departamento de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade de Coimbra; Setembro de 2019.
- David José Santos Arnaldo; “EDIFÍCIOS COM NECESSIDADES QUASE NULAS DE ENERGIA EM AMBIENTE DE REDE INTELIGENTE ANÁLISE DE CENÁRIOS COM AÇÕES DE GESTÃO DA PROCURA”; Dissertação de Mestrado na área científica de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e apresentada ao Departamento de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade de Coimbra. setembro de 2019.
- Marcos Daniel Nujo Tenente; “Eco-efficiency assessment of the electricity sector: evidence from 28 European Union countries”; Master’s Dissertation in Energy for Sustainability Specialization in Energy Systems and Policy; September, 2019.
- Filipe José Meneses Pato; “Integração de Recursos de Energia Distribuídos em Edifícios”; Dissertação submetida para obtenção do grau de Mestre em Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, Área de Especialização em Energia; Setembro/2018
Teses de Doutoramento
- Vivek Kumar Singh Assessing energy-efficiency market transformation: the case study of a developing Asian country Doctoral Thesis in Sustainable Energy Systems, supervised by Professor Carla Margarida Saraiva de Oliveira Henriques and Professor António Manuel Oliveira Gomes Martins submitted to the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra.
- Guillermo Ivan de Loureiro Pereira ASSESSMENT OF POLICY, TECHNOLOGY, AND BUSINESS MODEL ADAPTATION FOR SMART AND SUSTAINABLE ELECTRICITY DISTRIBUTION Thesis submitted to the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra, in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Sustainable Energy Systems.