T4ENERTEC - Tools for supporting the selection of energy efficient technologies
Title: T4ENERTEC - Tools for supporting the selection of energy efficient technologies
Coordinators at INESCC: Álvaro Gomes & António Gomes Martins
Coordinators at ADAI: Fausto Freire
Date of approval: 24-04-2018
Dates start/end: 26-07-2018 / 25-07-2021
Total Eligible Cost: 221 878.21€
EU Financial Support: 188 596.48€
National Financial Support: 33 281.73€
Project Code: POCI-01-0145-FEDER-029820
Region of intervention:
Beneficiaries: INESC Coimbra - Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores de Coimbra, Associação para o Desenvolvimento da Aerodinâmica Industrial
Copromotor: ADAI - Associação para o Desenvolvimento da Aerodinâmica Induatrial
Site para simulações: https://t4enertec.inescc.pt/
The Portuguese energy efficiency programs are usually run through grant awards that support energy efficient technologies, including the implementation of policies that encourage investment, the development of training and education programs, and the facilitation of information exchange in the market, which require the establishment of rational investment plans considering distinct budget level inputs to each program. However, the evaluation of the energy efficiency programs and budgets is currently based on the ‘California Standard Practice Manual’, which mainly relies on the economic analysis of demand-side programs and projects. One of the weaknesses of this type of approach is that it cannot accurately capture the complexities and diversity of customer decision-making processes and mainly relying on the device costs targeted for funding.
Energy efficiency standards have been focused on reducing energy needs during the use phase of equipment. As energy efficient technologies progress towards low energy consumption, the embodied phase starts to play an important role when considering a life-cycle perspective. Consequently, a wider approach is needed in order to assess the whole energy efficient technology performance during its life span. Hence, it is fundamental to introduce a holistic design approach based on environmental sustainability, following a life-cycle perspective, in order to reduce both energy use and environmental impacts related with energy efficient technologies.
This project aims at developing a methodological framework to support public bodies in investment planning for energy efficiency programs based on portfolio theory explicitly considering the energy and carbon embodied in each energy efficient technology. A two-part methodological approach for supporting public investors with the selection of several energy efficient technologies to be funded will be developed. An Economic Input-Output Life-cycle Assessment modelling framework jointly developed with CIE-ADAI will be used for the appraisal of the energy payback-time/greenhouse gas payback- time of each technology. Then, the promotor of this project will participate in the development of a multiobjective optimization model based on portfolio theory to support public bodies with the selection of the energy efficient technology portfolios to be financed in an uncertain environment. A new approach for obtaining the optimal portfolios of energy efficient technologies will be proposed which allows exploring distinct types of investment strategies, according to the investor’s preferences.
The project will benefit from the participation of INESC Coimbra, with relevant the experience in consulting in the Plan for the Promotion of Energy Efficiency with one of the major players in the energy sector in Portugal and CIE-ADAI which has significant expertise in LCA addressing building retrofit strategies considering uncertainty handling.
Álvaro Gomes (INESC Coimbra)
António Gomes Martins (INESC Coimbra)
Carla Oliveira Henriques (INESC Coimbra)
Carla Rodrigues (ADAI)
Carlos Henggeler Antunes (INESC Coimbra)
Dulce Helena Coelho (INESC Coimbra)
Fausto Freire (ADAI)
Paulo Tavares (INESCC Coimbra)
Patrícia Pereira da Silva (INESC Coimbra)
Sérgio Tadeu - investigador doutorado (ADAI)
Hermano Bernardo - bolseiro (INESC Coimbra)
Ana Rita Amaral Dias - bolseiro
Marcos Tenente (INESC Coimbra)
- Loureiro, F., Silva, P.P. and Cerqueira, P. (2022) "Decoupling efficiency from electricity intensity: an empirical assessment in the EU”. Energy Policy. (In production).
- Tadeu, S., Rodrigues, C., Marques, P. and Freire, F. (2022) “Eco-efficiency to support selection of energy conservation measures for buildings: a life-cycle approach”, submitted to Journal of Building Engineering. (In Production).
- Saadatian, S., Rodrigues, C., Freire, F., and Simões, N. (2022) “Environmental and cost life-cycle approach to support selection of windows in early stages of building design”, Journal of Cleaner Production, Production vol. 363, 132624. (DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2022.132624).
- Henriques, C. O., Neves, M. E. (2021). Exploring the trade-off between liquidity, risk, and return under sectoral diversification across distinct economic settings. The Journal of Risk Finance. Vol. 22 (2), 130-152. DOI: 10.1108/JRF-05-2020-0101.
- Henriques, C., Gouveia, M. C., Tenente, M., and Silva, P. P. (2021) “Employing Value-Based DEA in the eco-efficiency assessment of the electricity sector”. Economic Analysis and Policy. 73, pp. 826 – 844. IF: 2.497. DOI: 10.1016/j.eap.2022.01.010.
- Matos, C, Carneiro, J., da Silva, P. P., and Henriques, C. O. (2021) “A GIS-MCDA approach addressing economic-social-environmental concerns for selecting the most suitable compressed air energy storage reservoirs”. Energies (special issue on Economics and Finance of Climate Change). 14, 6793, IF: 3.004. DOI: 10.3390/en14206793.
- Neves, E., Oliveira, V., Leite, J. and Henriques, C. (2021), "The global business cycle and speculative demand for crude oil". China Finance Review International, Vol. 11 No. 4, pp. 502-521. https://doi.org/10.1108/CFRI-05-2021-0091.
- Rodrigues, C.; Freire, F. (2021). Environmental impacts and costs of residential building retrofits – what matters? Sustainable Cities and Society, vol. 67, 102733 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2021.102733.
- Saadatian, S., Freire, F., Simões, N. (2021). Integrated environmental, energy and cost life-cycle analysis of windows. Building and Environment Vol. 188, 15 January 2021, 107516 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.107516
- Henriques, C., Luque, M. and Marcenaro‐Gutierrez, O. (2021), Coupling distinct MOLP interactive approaches with a novel DEA hybrid model. Intl. Trans. in Op. Res.. https://doi.org/10.1111/itor.12879
- Cabeça, A. S., Henriques, C. O., Figueira, J., Silva, C. S. (2020). A multicriteria classification approach for assessing the current governance capacities on energy efficiency in the European Union. Energy Policy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2020.111946
- Henriques, C.O., Coelho, D.H. & Neves, M.E.D. (2020) “Investment planning in energy efficiency programs: a portfolio based approach”. Oper Res Int J 22, 615–649 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12351-020-00566-6.
- Bissiri, M., Moura, P., Figueiredo, N. & da Silva, P.P., (2020). A geospatial approach towards defining cost-optimal electrification pathways in West Africa Energy. Energy, 200, 117471. Doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2020.117471
- Bissiri, M., Moura, P., Figueiredo, N. and Silva, P.P., (2020) “A geospatial approach towards defining cost-optimal electrification pathways in West Africa Energy”. Energy, 200, 117471. Doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2020.117471
- Pereira, G.I., da Silva, P.P., & Cerqueira, P.A. (2020). Electricity distribution incumbents’ adaptation toward decarbonized and smarter grids: Evidence on the role market, regulatory, investment, and firm-level factors. Energy Policy. 142, 111477. Doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2020.111477
- Bissiri, M., Moura, P., Figueiredo, N. & da Silva, P.P., (2020). Towards a renewables-based future for West African States: A review of power systems planning approaches. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 134, December 2020, 110019 DOI 10.1016/j.rser.2020.110019 https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1bWF64s9Hv-Yu1
- Saadatian, S., Freire, F., Simões, N. (2020) “Embodied impacts of window systems: a comparative assessment of framing and glazing alternatives”. Journal of Building Engineering, vol. 35, 102042 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2020.102042.
- Tenente, M., Henriques, C. and Silva, P.P. (2020) “Eco-efficiency assessment of the electricity sector: Evidence from 28 European Union countries”, Economic Analysis and Policy. Volume 66, 2020, Pages 293-314, ISSN 0313-5926, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eap.2020.05.003.
- Torabi, R., Gomes, A., Lobo, D. and Morgado-Dias, F. (2020) “Modelling demand flexibility and energy storage to support increased penetration of renewable energy resources on Porto Santo”. Greenhouse Gas Sci Technol. 10: 1118-1132. https://doi.org/10.1002/ghg.2005
- Amado, L., Marto, H. and Tavares, P. (2019) “Energy Efficiency Measures for an Electrical Material Industry”; International Journal of Energy Production and Management. 4, 3, pp. 217-229, 2019. DOI: 10.2495/EQ-V4-N3-217-229.
- Singh, V.K., Henriques, C. and Gomes Martins, A. (2019) “A multiobjective optimization approach to support end-use energy efficiency policy design – the case-study of India”; International Journal of Sustainable Energy Planning and Management. Vol. 23 2019 55–68. DOI: 10.5278/ijsepm.2408
- Guillermo Ivan Pereira, Jan Martin Specht, Patrícia Pereira Silva, Reinhard Madlener, Technology, business model, and market design adaptation toward smart electricity distribution: Insights for policy making, Energy Policy, Volume 121, 2018, Pages 426-440, ISSN 0301-4215, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2018.06.018. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421518304087)
- Gwerder, Y.V., Figueiredo, N. and Silva, P.P. (2019) “Investing in Smart Grids: Assessing the Influence of Regulatory and Market Factors on Investment Level”. The Energy Journal. 40. 25-44. https://doi.org/10.5547/01956574.40.4.ygwe.
- Silva, P.P., Dantas, G., Pereira, G., Câmara, L. and De Castro, N. (2019) “Photovoltaic distributed generation – An international review on diffusion, support policies, and electricity sector regulatory adaptation”. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. Volume 103, 2019, Pages 30-39, ISSN 1364-0321, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.12.028. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1364032118308232)
- Kabayo, J., Marques, P., Garcia, R. and Freire, F. (2019) “Life-cycle sustainability assessment of key electricity generation systems in Portugal”. Energy. Volume 176, 2019, Pages 131-142, ISSN 0360-5442, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2019.03.166.
- Neves, M.E., Henriques, C. & Vilas, J. Financial performance assessment of electricity companies: evidence from Portugal. Oper Res Int J 21, 2809–2857 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12351-019-00504-1.
- Tavares, V., Lacerda, N. and Freire, F. (2018) “Embodied energy and greenhouse gas emissions analysis of a prefabricated modular house: The “Moby” case study”. Journal of Cleaner Production. Volume 212, 2019, Pages 1044-1053, ISSN 0959-6526, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.12.028.
- Tenente, M., Henriques, C., Gomes, A., Silva, P. P., Trigo A (2022) “Multiple impacts of energy efficiency technologies in Portugal”. EvEUCoP 2022: Evaluating the implementation of EU cohesion policy, 6 July, Coimbra, Portugal. https://easychair.org/cfp/EvEUCoP2022
- Tenente, M., Henriques, C., Gomes, A., Silva, P. P. (2022) “Assessing the multiple benefits of fostering energy efficiency technologies in Portugal”. 5th International Conference on Energy and Environment: bringing together Engineering and Economics, 2-3 June. https://icee2022.fep.up.pt/wp-content/uploads/sites/721/2022/05/icee-2022-programmeV2.pdf
- Henriques, C.O., Neves, M. E. and Lima, A. (2022) “Assessing the oil vulnerability of net oil importing countries in Europe”. 8th International Symposium on Environment and Energy Finance Issues, 23 – 24 May 2022. Paris, França. https://isefi.sciencesconf.org/resource/page/id/11.
- Henriques, C.O., Neves, M. E. and Lima, A. (2022) “How vulnerable to oil are net oil importing countries in Europe?”. EURO Working Group on Behavioural O.R. - Spring Workshop 2022 - BOR contributions to the Energy. 11-12 de abril. Coimbra, Portugal. https://www.uc.pt/en/org/inescc/org_scientific_events/BOR2022
- Martins, H., Henriques, C. O., Figueira, J. R., Silva, C., and Costa, A. S. (2022) “Assessing policy interventions to stimulate the transition of electric vehicle technology in the EU”. 5th International Conference on Energy & Environment: bringing together Economics and Engineering. 2-3 junho de 2022, Faculdade de Economia da Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal. https://icee2022.fep.up.pt/wp-content/uploads/sites/721/2022/05/icee-2022-programmeV2.pdf
- Tenente, M., Henriques, C., Gomes, A., Silva, P. P. (2021) “A methodological framework for assessing the multiple benefits of fostering energy efficiency technologies”. In Proceedings of the APEEN Online Conference 2021 on Energy Transition and Sustainability, 20-21 de janeiro. https://apeen2021.cense.fct.unl.pt/
- Tenente, M., Henriques, C., Silva, P.P. and Amado, L. (2021) “A novel approach for assessing the multiple benefits of Energy Efficiency technologies”. 8-151-21 ECEEE 2021 Summer Study. https://www.eceee.org/library/conference_proceedings/eceee_Summer_Studies/2021/8-buildings-technologies-and-systems-beyond-energy-efficiency/a-novel-approach-for-assessing-the-multiple-benefits-of-energy-efficiency-technologies/
- Gomes, A., Sintra, S., Tavares, P. and Jorge, J. (2021) “On the smart buildings-smart grid interactions”. 8-144-21 ECEEE 2021 Summer Study. https://www.eceee.org/library/conference_proceedings/eceee_Summer_Studies/2021/8-buildings-technologies-and-systems-beyond-energy-efficiency/on-the-smart-buildings-smart-grid-interactions/
- Amado, L., Tavares, P. and Gomes, A. (2021) “How far are Portuguese residential buildings from NZEB”. 7-202-21 ECEEE 2021 Summer Study. https://www.eceee.org/library/conference_proceedings/eceee_Summer_Studies/2021/7-policies-for-a-green-recovery-in-the-buildings-sector/how-far-are-portuguese-residential-buildings-from-nzeb/
- Henriques, C. and Gouveia, M. (2020) “Eco-efficiency assessment of the electricity sector across the 28-EU countries: A value-based DEA approach”. EURO Working Group on Operational Research for Development (EWG-ORD) 2020 Workshop – Data Technologies & Analytics for Sustainable Development. Virtual event, 29 de Agosto. https://www.nkd-group.com/EWGORD-2020/EWG-ORD2020Abstracts.html
- Henriques, C. and Gouveia, M. C. (2020) “A novel productivity index for evaluating the eco-efficiency change of the electricity sector across the 28-EU countries”. EURO Working Group on Operational Research for Development (E- ORD) 2020 Workshop – Data Technologies & Analytics for Sustainable Development. Virtual event, 29 de Agosto. https://www.nkd-group.com/EWGORD-2020/EWG-ORD2020Abstracts.html
- Henriques, C.O., Neves, E., Jeremias, A., Vieira, E. (2021) “Performance of US and European Exchange Traded Funds: a base point - slack- based measure approach; World Finance Conference At: Noruega, virtual; 2021. https://www.world-finance-conference.com/conference.php?id=21
- Henriques, C. O., Neves, M. E., & Castelão, L. (2020) “Uma avaliação não paramétrica da performance dos ETFs associados ao setor energético”. In Proceedings das XXX Jornadas Luso Espanholas de Gestão Científica. 5-8 fevereiro, 2020, Escola Superior de Tecnologia e Gestão, Bragança, Portugal. https://bibliotecadigital.ipb.pt/bitstream/10198/20440/3/JLE_2020_resume_abstract_final.pdf.
- Henriques, C. O., Coelho, D., & Neves, M. E. (2019). “Supporting public decision-makers in the design of energy efficiency programs: A portfolio based approach”. In Proceedings of the EURO Working Group on Operational Research for Development (EWG-ORD) 2019 Workshop – OR for Sustainable Development: Renewable Energy, Health & Sustainable Development, June 20, 2019, Dublin, Ireland. https://www.euro-online.org/websites/ord/news/euro-2019/
- Henriques, C. O. (2018) “The greenhouse gas payback time of PV and Wind: a novel methodology and comparison among countries”. Energy Systems Conference. 19-20 de junho. Londres, UK. https://10times.com/energy-systemsconference
- Gomes, A., Henriques, C.O. (2019) Entrevista “Investigando com … - Tools for supporting the selection of energy efficient technologies”. Students Newspaper Zener (NEEEC/AAC – DEEC – FCTUC). “ 2ª Edição. Abril 2019.
- Gomes, A. (2019) “Environments: Survey, Design and Performance“. Ren4EEnIEQ organized seminar on promoting built-environment-related research networking. a streamed live. https://ren4eenieq.wordpress.com/events/.
- Gomes, A. et. all. (2022) T4Enertec - Tools for supporting the selection of energy efficient technologies (POCI-01-0145-FEDER-029820); EfS Research Day, Coimbra 2022 05 27.
Workshops e seminários
- M1 –A workshop was promoted with the relevant stakeholders: local government, energy companies, manufacturers, technical offices, energy agency and consumers to obtain a first set of target technologies (see progress report 1). Face-to-face event 26th November 2018.
- M7 – Workshop for the selection of indicators specifically addressing the assessment of the energy efficient technologies. The online event was held on 6th October 2021. Hora: 6 out. 2021 02:00 da tarde LisboaEntrar na reunião Zoom
- M10 – Final seminar (dissemination and discussion of the results). Online event held on 13th July 2022. Hora: 13 jul. 2022 02:00 da tarde LisboaEntrar na reunião Zoom
- Santos, J.P.O. (2021) A Comparative Assessment of Electric Vehicles Based on the PROMETHEE-GAIA Multicriteria Approach. Mestrado Integrado em Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores; DEEC – FCTUC; Novembro 2021. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/98082.
- Araújo, A. (2020) Avaliação ambiental e económica de ciclo de vida de sistemas de aquecimento em habitações. Mechanical Engineering Integrated Master Thesis. University of Coimbra, Portugal. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/90199.
- Rocha, T. (2020) Impactos do Incremento da Eficiência Energética no Setor dos Edifícios; Trabalho de Projeto para a obtenção do grau de Mestre em Engenharia Eletrotécnica – Área de Especialização em Automação e Comunicações em Sistemas de Energia; ISEC - IPC; Novembro 2020.
- Sintra, S. (2020) Indicador de prontidão para edifícios “inteligentes” – Aplicação ao DEEC. Dissertação no âmbito do Mestrado Integrado em Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, na especialização de Energia, apresentada ao Departamento de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores. Outubro de 2020. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/92200.
- Oliveira e Costa, J. (2020) Decision Making Tool to Select Energy Efficiency Measures Through Portfolio Evaluation Considering Multiple Benefits; Dissertation within the Integrated Master’s Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, specialized and presented to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra, October 2020. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/92247.
- Lima, J. (2020) A Methodological Framework to Support Energy Decision-Makers in Investment Planning for Energy Efficiency Programs in The Residential Sector. Dissertation within the Integrated Master’s Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Specialization in Energy and presented to the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra; February 2020. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/90172.
- Morais, L. (2020) Análise dos efeitos da utilização do serviço de energia nos impactos de ações de gestão de cargas. Dissertação no âmbito do Mestrado em Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, área de especialização em Energia, apresentada ao Departamento de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade de Coimbra; Fevereiro de 2020. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/90189.
- Tenente, M. (2019) Eco-efficiency assessment of the electricity sector: evidence from 28 European Union countries. Master’s Dissertation in Energy for Sustainability Specialization in Energy Systems and Policy; September 2019. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/98683.
- Arnaldo, D. (2019) Edifícios com necessidades quase nulas de energia em ambiente de rede inteligente - Análise de cenários com ações de gestão da procura. Dissertação de Mestrado na área científica de Engenharia Eletrotécnica, apresentada ao Departamento de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade de Coimbra. setembro de 2019. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/87834.
- Frade, A. (2019) Avaliação de medidas de eficiência energética de edifícios residenciais. Dissertação no âmbito do Mestrado em Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, área de especialização em Energia, apresentada ao Departamento de Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores da Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade de Coimbra; Setembro de 2019. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/87993.
- Pato, F. (2018) Integração de recursos de energia distribuídos em edifícios. Dissertação submetida para obtenção do grau de Mestre em Engenharia Eletrotécnica e de Computadores, Área de Especialização em Energia; Setembro/2018. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/86486.
Teses de Doutoramento
- Singh, V.K. (2019). Assessing energy-efficiency market transformation: the case study of a developing Asian country. Doctoral Thesis in Sustainable Energy Systems, submitted to the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra, Portugal. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/87648.
- Pereira, G. (2019). Assessment Of Policy, Technology, And Business Model Adaptation for Smart and Sustainable Electricity Distribution. Thesis submitted to the Faculty of Sciences and Technology of the University of Coimbra, in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Sustainable Energy Systems. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/87534.
- Saadatian, S. (2022). Integrated Cost and Environmental Life-cycle Analysis of Windows. PhD in Sustainable Energy Systems. University of Coimbra, Portugal. http://hdl.handle.net/10316/100335.
Ferramentas e data sets
e³ – Administração.xlsm
e³ – Simulação.xlsm
e³ – Saída.xlsm
impactos por tecnologia.zip