Geomagnetic field variations are measured continuously at the magnetic observatory of the University Coimbra since 1866. This project addresses one important application of geomagnetic field time series, the assessment of hazard associated with geomagnetically induced currents in high-voltage power lines. To this end, we gather the expertise of different fields of geophysics, engineering and mathematics in order to carry out all the required tasks: identification of different driving sources, calculation of a conductivity model for the Portuguese territory, definition of the electrical and geometrical characteristics of the power grid. In parallel, all field studies and instruments comparaisons will take place in order to accomplish the transfer of the COI station to a new site free of urban electromagnetic noise.
This study is funded by national funds through FCT (Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P.), under the project MAG-GIC: PTDC/CTA - GEO/31744/2017.
- Geophysical study of viability for a new geomagnetic observatory at São Marcos (Portugal), M. Alexandra Pais, Paulo Ribeiro, Katia Pinheiro, Marcos Vinicius, Jurgen Matzka, EGU 2021 (pdf)
- Altitude dependence of geomagnetic external fields using Swarm and ground observatories data, Diana Saturnino, M. Alexandra Pais, João Domingos, Fernando J. G. Pinheiro, EGU 2021 (pdf)
- Crustal Characterization of Portugal´s mainland through Magnetotelluric measurements, Pedro Baltazar-Soares, Francisco Martinez Moreno, Joana Alves Ribeiro, Fernando Monteiro Santos, Maria Alexandra Pais, and Paulo Ribeiro, EGU 2021 (pdf)
- Uncertainties on GIC computations: a Portuguese case study, Fernando J. G. Pinheiro, Joana Alves Ribeiro, Rute Santos, Pedro Baltazar-Soares, Maria Alexandra Pais, João Cardoso, Fernando A. Monteiro Santos, IAGA-IASPEI 2021 (pdf, video)
- Towards more accurate GIC estimations in the Portuguese power network, Joana Alves Ribeiro, Fernando J. G. Pinheiro, Pedro Baltazar-Soares, Francisco Martínez-Moreno, Fernando A. Monteiro Santos, Maria Alexandra Pais, AGA-IASPEI 2021 (pdf)
- Study of the regular daily variations of the geomagnetic field Sq obtained from the COI observations by different methods, Rania Rebbah, Anna Morozova, AGA-IASPEI 2021 (pdf)