PhD degree on Sustainable Energy Systems (SES|EfS)
The Sustainable Energy Systems (SES/EfS) doctoral program at the University of Coimbra aims at developing its students' abilities to contribute to interdisciplinary interventions in areas such as the efficient use of energy, centralized or decentralized energy production, or the distribution of energy, always under a sustainable development perspective. Students that earn a PhD through this program have developed competences in the technological domains associated to these areas, as well as the domains of economics and the environment; they acquired capacities to analyze systems and their interrelations; they are able to develop research activities and tackle highly complex problems concerning the energy-environment binomial, addressing topics such as the evaluation of systems' sustainability, using life-cycle models, materials flow analysis, geographical information systems, market economics analyzes, or market regulation mechanisms.
Subscribe to email updates about the educational program and the activities of EfS Initiative.
Research Mobility Programme
The EfS Initiative promotes the exchange of students of the PhD programme on Sustainable Energy Systems (SES) with foreign Universities. It also supports the presentation in scientific meetings of papers relating to research work of PhD theses in Sustainable Energy Systems accomplished by students.
In this context, two calls are open every year for applications of students of the PhD programme on SES at the University of Coimbra.
Coordinated Programme among three universities
The SES/EfS program at UC is offered in the context of a strong cooperation among the universities of Coimbra, Porto e Lisboa, following the cooperation initiated in the context of the MIT-Portugal Programme in which specialists from the various participating schools, intervene to cross complement competences among the three universities, both in regular courses and in theses supervision. The SES doctoral programme involves the following Portuguese schools:
- Faculdade de Ciências, Universidade de Lisboa (FCUL)
- Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia, Universidade de Coimbra (FCTUC)
- Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra (FEUC)
- Faculdade de Engenharia da Universidade do Porto (FEUP)
- Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestão, Universidade Técnica de Lisboa (ISEG)
- Instituto Superior Técnico, Universidade Técnica de Lisboa (IST)
Applications deadlines, here.
Guidance for Applicants,here.
a) hold a master's degree or equivalent;
b) hold a bachelor's degree with a relevant academic or scientific curriculum, duly recognized by the PhD’s Coordination Committee and by the FCTUC's Scientific Committee, attesting the ability to carry out the course;
c) hold an academic, scientific, or professional curriculum, duly recognized by the PhD’s Coordination Committee and by the FCTUC's Scientific Committee, attesting the ability to carry out the course.
Tuition fee: 2750.0 € annual Fee (Please confirm for the current year in the Academic Services)
Language: Classes are taught in English given that non-Portuguese speaking students are regularly attending. Study materials are also available in English. The Portuguese language is used only when there are no non-Portuguese speaking students in the class.
Schedule: The most nuclear courses of the program have classes scheduled for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday
|Energy, environment and Sustainability||6|
|Energy Economics and Energy Markets||6|
|Fundamentals of Operational Research||6|
|Energy Management in Buildings||6|
|Energy Management in Industry||6|
|Indoor Air Quality||6|
|Energy and Transport||6|
|Environment and Space Organization||6|
|Economy of the Environment||6|
|Buildings and Environment||6|
|Innovation and Entrepreneurship||6|
|Energy Planning and Sustainable Development||6|
|Policies for the Transformation of Energy Markets||6|
|Air Conditioning Systems in Buildings||6|
|Renewable Energy Systems||6|
|Technology and Rehabilitation of Facades and Coverings||6|
|Thesis project (1st & 2nd semesters)||12|
|Elective course units*||30|
|PhD Thesis (3rd semester to conclusion)||180|
Schedule: The most nuclear courses of the program have classes scheduled for Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Classes are taught in English given that non-Portuguese speaking students are regularly attending (*). Study materials are also available in English.
(*) the Portuguese language is used only when there are no non-Portuguese speaking students in class
SES|EfS PhD Organization
The SES/EfS PhD program at UC offers two main scientific themes:
Buildings and Urban Environment: Confers competences for the analysis of systems on an urban scale:
- the perspective of space organization, at the crossroads of criteria related to the sustainable use of natural resources, functionality, and fruition
- the perspective of buildings as complex systems, addressing conception and operation in a context of efficiency, as well as human comfort and health.
- life-cycle analysis of constructions and equipments
- interaction between buildings and their environment
- planning and decision support based on geographical information systems
Energy Systems and Policy: Confers competences on the following themes, among other: plenary_en
- energy and environment economics
- energy markets in their various types of organization and regulation
- efficient use of energy and overcoming market barriers
- organization of transportation systems for sustainability
PhD Program Structure and Courses
The SES/EfS PhD program is harmoniously integrated with the joint SES Doctoral Program of the MIT Portugal Program, concerted between the involved schools.
At the University of Coimbra, the SES/EfS program stipulates a first year of elective and compulsory courses, totaling 60 ECTS, plus a PhD dissertation corresponding to 180 ECTS.
- Research areas of the lecturers and researchers involved in the Energy for Sustainability Initiative
The EfS program compulsory courses are the following:
* The courses “Energy Management in Buildings” and “Energy Management in Industry” are lectured in the same time slots. It is therefore not possible to attend both courses simultaneously.
The SES/EfS Doctoral Program allows a flexible choice of courses, among those available each year, adapting to the background and dissertation interests of each student. The list of elective courses available at UC is presented in the following tables. This list should not be regarded as permanent; the Scientific and Management Coordination Committee can add new options in the future, to reflect the evolution of this area.